6.03.2004

Vision

I was recently reminded of something. In the midst of starting a church, it's easy to get distracted with details... Mainly because the details must be covered in order to do what one must to start a new congregation. But, the details can kill as well...

I guess what I am saying is that I know that God has called myself and Clay to start a movement... a revolution of faith for the emergent generations of Baltimore, the NE, and eventually the country/world. What that means is that the vision is SO much greater than starting one congregation, or even two, or even three. The calling placed upon us is much bigger than that. Once reminded of this, I was in awe of God and felt His burning in my soul. I hope that I can convey this new found passion with those I meet without being overkill or cheesy, because it's truly the reason why I am here: to spread the incendiary heat of Christ's love to all people around this place called Baltimore... the 1.4 million people that live in this great city need to feel the heat, the warmth, and the embrace of Jesus. Once they do, the fire will spread again...

Also, my hope is that Horizon of Owings Mills will be encouraged with the starting of Horizon Towson... This is the second step in a long journey of many steps (many new congregations). I hope that Owings Mills will reap the benefits of what she has done... she gave her best, and gave her finances... she gave what she could and it was enough. Now there is a healthy new church growing in the heart of Towson. :) At the same time, I hope for fresh blood... fresh feet, to help undergird the life of Horizon in Owings Mills. My prayer is that there will be an onslaught of new people, vibrant with faith and love for others, that will infiltrate their ranks and make a positive impact. I also pray for a barrage of new believers... fresh in faith and ones with a new sense of purpose with their new relationship with Christ. For those sitting on the sidelines... my hope is that they will either get on the train or get off. We have had to make a stop as we start the new work in Towson. Owings Mills has had to refresh, and reload supplies before the next journey. But the train is beginning to move again... it's time to get aboard or stay at the station. Either way... the vision that God set in motion is on the move yet again. ALL ABOARD!

Prayer: Lord, please help those who attend Horizon on Sunday mornings and those involved with Link Groups to see the bigger picture. Help them see that this is a movement, and not just starting a church. Help them embrace any hardship and relinquish any distraction that might keep us from the goal of being used by You in this great city that You founded. You sent us here for such a time as this... help us be on-time, Lord.

1 comment:

Mark said...

I like the vision. I can almost hear the hearts of the people at Towson and Owings Mills crying out....

"Tell me what to do, Dave and I will do it. But Dave, if you inspire me, I will catch fire. And this fire will heat up everyone I meet. Inspire me, Dave. Cast the vision and paint the picture. I long to be a part of something that is greater than me. Work has worn me down. Life has weighed me down. But watch out if I get inspired. Inspiriation will run through my vains and energize my soul."