6.21.2004

Fat Coaches

Rom. 2.19 If you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark,
Rom. 2.20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of infants, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth —
Rom. 2.21 you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal?
Rom. 2.22 You who say that people should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples?
Rom. 2.23 You who brag about the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law?
Rom. 2.24 As it is written: “God’s name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”

Though I wasn't necessarily known for athletic prowess in jr. high and high school, I was active in sports, mainly track in field. The discus was my sport of choice, and actually as I look back, I sorta was known for some prowess with it. I won quite a few first, second, and third place finishes with the discus. But one sport I was not too fond of playing was football. Now, don't get me wrong, I love to watch it and playing it helped me appreciate the game more. Well, at least until I broke my leg in a tackling drill! lol But one thing that always bugged me were the fat choaches that yelled for you to run, yelled at you to push harder, etc. when they themselves wouldn't last two minutes doing the very thing they expected of us, the players. It would seem that the only thing they ran for was more jelly doughnuts (not that there's anything wrong with that) and the only thing they pushed harder for were seconds and thirds. Ah... but then there were the coaches that ran the drills with you... did the sit ups with you... worked out and lifted the weights with you. When this sort of coach yells at you, it's different... perhaps because you know the guy isn't asking you to do anything that he doesn't expect of himself as well.

I started thinking about this yesterday and bringing this same context back to ministry and being a pastor. Wow... then it hits home. When I stand up and speak each Sunday, I am sorta like a coach. I am showing folks the game-plan. I am expounding on the fundamentals of the game, reminding people of the rules. Disciplines like study, prayer, giving, and sacrifice are spoken of... yet i wonder... am I a good example? Man... nothing is worse than a fat coach. The same expectations upon any other person are upon me... I am not above the law. If I speak about things I need to strive to live out what I preach. Now, I am the first to say I am striving but never reaching -- I'll say that in my messages. But, still... I want to do better. I want to shine as an example, and do better...

*Drop and give me 50!*

No comments: