8.05.2004

Wild

OK, so I gave in and bought "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge. I didn't take long for me to know that this is a book I NEED to read. Wow... You know, I didn't have my dad around growing up. I don't know how to do anything around the house to fix things and whatever. People wonder why we live in a new townhome. It's not because we like new places; honestly, its because I don't know jack about fixing things. Now... when people show me, I can pick things up, but that happens rarely. I have always felt less of a man because of these things.. and to a fault. When anyone even jokes about me being feminine or lacking anything masculine, I get ready to throw down. I could not be more serious about what I just said. Nothing sets me quicker. It's a sore issue for me because while growing up I never had a male mentor or someone to teach me how to "be a man." No role model. No blueprint. Except for what I found in Scripture. This book is helping me get back to my "roots" of what it means to be a man, and it's helpful. It's especially helpful for me in raising Josh. I want to be that blueprint for him. More than anything... Thanks for those of you that have recommended it.

4 comments:

Daniel said...

Hey man, I'm sorry that I have joked with you about the feminine thing before. I didn't know it was such a hurtful thing. I'm sorry and it won't happen again.

I'm glad you are reading Wild at Heart. It was great for me. I think every guy who didn't have a great relationship with his father should read it. There is a lot of wisdom there.

I'm willing to show you what I know of handy-work... which is a little wiring and hole patching. Not a super handy-man myself though, so don't expect too much.

Dave said...

Dan... your post means a lot to me. Thanks so much for understanding. You rock!

Daniel said...

There was one thing that John Eldredge wrote in one of his books. I don't think it was Wild at Heart, but I can't remember which one it was. Anyways, he said that Satan gets other people to attack us in the same places that he himself is trying to attack us.

You need to know that any idea that you are in any way feminine is a complete lie from Satan. You are a warrior Dave! You are a MAN of God! Brother, I would go to war with you at my side!

Dave said...

Dan... I cannot tell you what these comments mean to me. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. I, too, would go to war with you and fight by your side. But, let's pray for peace anyway... :)