8.13.2004

Leaving for Houston

I got word on Wed. from my dad that my grandfather Cowan is near death. My immediate response was fear. I did not want the last time I saw him to be at his funeral.

"I've got to go to Houston and see him before he goes... no matter what."

Nothing like the death of a loved one (or impending death for that matter) to set the mind reeling about every experience, every fond memory... regrets...

I love Captain (what I call him) so much. He is, like my other grandfather, such a wonderful example of what a Christian man should be. EVERYONE that's ever met Captain loves him. He never spoke a cross word. He is such a peaceful man. My prayer for him is that when he goes, he goes as peacefully as he lived.

Captain, I love you... I hope to hold your hand one more time. I hope to hear that wonderful laugh of yours and see your smile. I am soooo gonna miss you, Captain, but I am so thankful for Jesus. He made a way for us to see each other again, and in that I can rest and know... I will see you again. This is simply our last goodbye, but never our last hello.

I love you...

your grandson

2 comments:

Mark said...

Go in peace my friend. You will be missed this weekend but I am glad that you have the chance to see your grandfather one last time. You and your family will be in my prayers.

I will think of us as Peter and John this weekend. Only, Peter is taking care of his family and John has to fill in and speak. I will do my best.

Also, I read your blog entitled "Wild." And I agree with Dan. I know I have joked with you about stuff before and for that I am truly sorry. You are a good husband and a great dad. If that isn't being a MAN I don't know what is. In fact, we have very few "males" that are willing to serve in these roles today. Its too hard for them. They bail out. But real men are like you. Good to their wives and great to their kids.

See you when you get back. Peace.

Dave said...

Just seeing this Mark... thanks a million! I knew that Horizon would be in good hands. (I mean come on! The Apostle John's in the house! *wink*) Thank you for your prayers; they mean the world to me.

Also, thank you for your encouragement about being a father. I can say, from personal experience, fatherhood is not for the faint of heart. :)