7.11.2006

What I wrote when we first started Horizon in Towson

Dated: 7.15.2003
---

Paul wrote:
Rom. 15.20 It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else's foundation.
Rom. 15.21 Rather, as it is written: "Those who were not told about him will see, and those who have not heard will understand."
Rom. 15.22 This is why I have often been hindered from coming to you.
Rom. 15.23 But now that there is no more place for me to work in these regions, and since I have been longing for many years to see you,
Rom. 15.24 I plan to do so when I go to Spain. I hope to visit you while passing through and to have you assist me on my journey there, after I have enjoyed your company for a while.
Rom. 15.25 Now, however, I am on my way to Jerusalem in the service of the saints there.

I share his thoughts. I learned early in ministry that I have a desire to start new works. It's in me deep; it's in my blood. The thought thrills me to no end. I remember with my first start (more like a para-church deal than a church itself) -- the MIX, in New Orleans -- how addictive it was. Man... to see people schedule their time during the week to come and worship God when before they had no interest was a complete thrill for me.

Now @ Horizon, it's not different. First Owings Mills -- a place with 30,000 people in a one mile radius -- and one struggling church of like 30 in our area when we started. Towson... the numbers are even greater in density, being more urban and with a college campus right next door. Well... there are churches around, but most of them are rather old school... nothing wrong with that, but in the scheme of things -- they are probably finding it harder and harder to reach the college students around them. In comes Horizon...


Yet, the last part of Paul's words are sobering. He desired to get to Spain someday. The passion that drove him in Christ to start new works was the passion that set his sights on Spain. But... most likely, he never made it. Spain was reached, in time... but not by Paul.

Someday, my passion and zeal will drive me elsewhere... and hopefully when I am 60+ years old, I too will set my sights on a new frontier. But, even in that moment -- what matters most is that my zeal and passion infects others so that when I am gone... the dream continues.

Paul's dream continues in me.

DCC

No comments: